Thursday, March 03, 2011

Recipe: Spring Rolls

My friend Shilme had given me her recipe for spring rolls awhile ago, but I'd been postponing making them myself, as I had the mistaken notion that it would be a lengthy process.

I just made them myself with store bought frozen spring roll wrappers and while it took some time to gather speed and my shapes aren't all even, it was actually quite easy.

These freeze well, so you can make them and fry immediately or freeze and fry when needed.

Ingredients for Stuffing:
250gms chicken mince (can make this at home with boneless breast pulsed in the food processor)
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 large Onion - chopped
1/2 cup carrot - minced
1/2 cup peas
1/2 chopped spring onion
1 tbsp veg oil
Salt, white pepper , a dash of sugar to taste

Other Ingredients for Spring Rolls:
1 packet Spring roll wrappers - about 40 sheets
oil for deep frying

Method:
Heat oil till smoking hot.
Add garlic, sweat for a few seconds then add the minced chicken.
Stir fry till the chicken is cooked and looks fairly dry .
Add chopped onion, carrot and peas, stir till the vegetables are half cooked.
Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
Sprinkle the spring onion just before turning off the fire and give a quick stir.
Set aside to cool.

Roll into spring rolls using the following steps:




Then roll in a forward motion to get this cigar shape

Fry immediately or stack in a box for freezing.

When you want to use them, take them out of the freezer 5-10 minutes before and deep fry. If you still have pieces leftover - pop them back in the freezer. I used my batch for over a month. It tastes best when fresh but the frozen ones are good too.
Serve hot with readymade sauces or the sauces given below.

*These will yield about 20-25 pcs of spring rolls, depending how generous you like the stuffing in your rolls.
* You can just make the vegetarian ones by omitting the chicken and doubling the vegetables.

Red Chilli Sauce:
5 Fresh red chillies
3 cloves garlic
salt, sugar, vinegar to taste

Whiz in blender with some water till smooth, heat in a pan till it reaches your desired consistency.

Alternative Red Chilli Sauce:
Same process as above but I use dried chillies instead, cut them into a few pieces to remove the seeds, and saute in hot smoking oil for about a minute. Don't cook for too long it will get bitter and lose all the taste. Blend with other ingredients and heat in a pan till it reaches your desired consistency.

6 comments:

Rekha shoban said...

healthy n perfect spring roll!

Sonia said...

Kim,
Your recipe is different. I should try it sometime.

These can be baked too. For the color at the end we need to broil it. Try it with shredded cabbage chicken carrot etc with soy sauce.

Kim said...

Sonia, baking + broiling seems like a good idea. I've been considering steaming them too, but have't got around to it before I finished off the batch :)

The recipe above is my Malaysan friend Shilme's recipe.

Will try your shredded cabbage, chicken, carrot etc with soy sauce next.

Sonia said...

I remember seeing the recipe is Shilme's -- something that u mentioned last year. DO NOT steam these wrappers.. It will becomes a mess. You can buy the rice wrappers which is kinda stiff when in the store. All you need to do is immerse them in water just before u assemble it (and just before you serve). It looks, tastes and feels like steamed rolls.

Will keep you posted on my steamed rolls (different wrappers) experiment ! ;)

Kim said...

Thanks for the headsup on steaming these wrappers.

I have used the rice paper rolls too.
http://jhovaan.blogspot.com/2010/04/recipe-vietnamese-rice-paper-rolls.html

Its difficult for me to wait when I roll rice paper rolls, since they are ready to eat as soon as they are rolled, I end up popping more into my mouth than on a plate :)

Sonia said...

Wow... I have a lot of recipes of yours to catch up with ! LOL

I am looking to experiment with the steamed version which I chanced upon seeing on a grocery visit. Will try it sometime and will let u know ! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis